Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day with the Horses

Today for Animal Handling: Equine class we got to go out to the barn and practice stall catching and leading the horses for the first time. There were several people in my class who had never handled a horse before, so it was kind of interesting.
Below is a picture of the U.F. Veterinary Ambulance; I wonder just how well it works in emergency situations? I guess we will find out.
 
 
So in my group of four there was one girl from Pittsburgh who had never handled a horse so it was kind of interesting to try and explain stuff to her. As she was walking our horse down the aisle and turned around there was a flake of hay sitting next to a stall, so our horse tried to go for it and stopped. Just behind our horse was another groups' horse and a girl leading it that had never handled a horse either. The other groups' horse got too close to our horses rear and so our horse kicked and missed the horse and hit the girl right in the thigh. All we heard was a loud scream and all of us turned right around and tried to analyze the situation and what had just happened. I know it's probably not too nice, but I thought it was kind of funny, mostly because I was jealous. I know I'm wrong but I think it would be fun to get kicked at least once with no injuries. Anyways we quickly got the horses away from each other and made sure the girl was alright. Nothing like an injury the first day and time handling horses! I think we made a record.
 
Had chemistry lab for three hours. This is me ready to blow some stuff up, oh yeah!
 
 
It was so hot in the lab and our lab manager made us wear rubber gloves and plastic aprons because pennies are just so hazardous and the sucrose solution could just eat away at your skin; I'm being sarcastic if you didn't get that.

No comments:

Post a Comment