Saturday, November 2, 2013

Take 2: Injections

Got up, rolled out of bed, put shorts on, brushed my teeth and went for a run with Kai. On our run we ran over a bridge and I saw this hole.
The hole was between the sidewalk and the bridge. It was large enough that my whole foot and leg could fit through it and when you look down at it you can see the creek underneath. I have never seen anything like it before!
In Equine Animal Handling class we got to further practice our injections and drawing blood. I was again the "drug dealer" and needle holder. 

Here is my blood sample from the syringe. I got it on the first try and was the only one able to get blood from the jugular vein on the right side. I was very proud of myself!
I also learned that don't pull the horse's weight towards you when going to inject into the rump. That muscle becomes like a rock! I went to jab the needle into George's rump, but the needle didn't go in at all. If I had pushed harder the needle would have bent or broke.



Oh I can't remember if I mentioned about my first experience with the rump injection. My first time going to inject into the rump muscle I jabbed the needle into the horse's rump and instantly the syringe came flying back and I was fumbling as I tried to catch the syringe. I had failed to let go of the syringe after jabbing it into the horse's rump. Once we have broken skin with the needle we are supposed to let go of the syringe to allow for the horse to react in whatever way it will and not injure us. After they have calmed down we aspirate and then inject. Dr. Kerns turned to me and asked what had happened and I told him I forgot to let go of the syringe and said "oh, but next time don't try to catch the syringe." So now in our group we laugh about me trying to catch the syringe and refer to it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment