Thursday, April 10, 2014

Prep for Glow Run

Saturday evening there is an event going on called the Glow Run, which will take place around 8 and we will run about 2 miles with lots of neon and glow sticks. Sarah, Emily and I had already planned on doing it and I wanted Marie to come. So Friday I asked Marie if she wanted to run it with us, but she cannot run. There was a brief dilemma until I came up with the brilliant plan and idea of pushing Marie in a running stroller. I texted her the idea and she laughed and was willing to do it. During class, which I shouldn't have done, I went online in search of places that would have a running stroller. Well running strollers cost nearly $300 and I don't have that kind of money so I went to the next best thing of a wheelchair or shopping cart. Our final brilliant idea was Sarah and I dressing up as her horses and pulling her in a wagon. She loved that idea. Now we were in search of a wheel chair, wagon, stroller or shopping cart. After all our classes were done for the day Sarah and I walked to the Salvation Army thrift shop to see if they had any of the things on our list. We saw a wheelchair and plenty of shopping carts so I went up to the cashier and asked if any of the items were for sale. Their response was that they were for store use only. Bummer!
Where to now?
I wasn't giving up that easily so both of us started texting people to see if they knew anyone with the list of things we wanted. We didn't find anything:( Sarah and I walked all around campus going from building to building asking if they had any of the things we needed on our list and they sent us to disabilities. In the disabilities office we were able to get a wheel chair, but neither Marie or I really wanted to use a wheel chair. We wanted to go crazy!
As Sarah and I are wheeling the chair across campus I say that we should go walk around town to all the houses with kids and ask if they have a wagon or stroller. That's just what we did. So picture me pushing Sarah around campus and town in the wheel chair going from house to house asking if they have a wagon. The second house we went to I saw a wagon in their side yard and the guys were outside, so I awkwardly walked up to them and said something along the lines of this:
"I see you have a wagon over in your side yard and I was wanting to know if I could borrow it?"
To both of our amazement they said yes! We explained what we were using it for and he thought that was so nice. I got myself a wheel chair and a wagon and couldn't wait to tell Marie about our afternoon adventure. 
When I did tell her about it later that evening, she was dying of laughter and couldn't believe I just did that:)
Our crazy list of activities for activities week:

No comments:

Post a Comment