Thursday, January 15, 2015

Winter Wonderland with a little Chill

Woke up to this beautiful scenery on campus! All the trees were covered in snow and looked as if they had leaves. Apparently this is what you get when you have fog and below zero temps. 



As all my Wednesday mornings should be spent I am at the Blanchard Valley Veterinary Clinic in the mornings to sit in on appointments and watch surgeries. It is so much fun even if it can be a struggle to get out of bed in the morning:) 
Today one of our appointments was a chameleon!!! Soooo cool to work with it and learn more about them. Dr. Fuller is the head veterinarian and has experience with exotics as he lived in Africa growing up and went there with his wife and kids for a few years. So he would tell me stories of Africa and also his experiences with chameleons as a kid. Apparently, they used them as fruit fly guns in Africa. As kids they would place the chameleon on their index finger and put their hand in the shape of a gun and walk around finding fruit flies as the chameleons would  shoot their tongue out to catch and eat the flies. 
My response, along with the receptionist and technician, to having a chameleon in was "let's make it change colors!" We wanted to put a plaid or weird patterned towel down on the table, but sadly they don't really change color based on their surroundings, but rather their mood. So I piped up and said "well let's change its mood then!" Luckily I did get to see it change a different shade of green. When it had came in it was a very dark green and by the end of the appointment and after some fluids and antibiotics he was a lighter shade of green. It was actually really cool!
In the back room where the surgeries were taking place we had three neuters, a spay and two dentals. We started with the K9 spay which was cool and I got to learn a lot as I asked a ton of questions. When it came to the neuters we had to get the anatomy book out as I got to apply all the information I was and had learned in repro so far to the physical thing and say "so you're cutting and tying off the deferent duct, cremaster muscle and spermaric cord?" All that sciency terminology. It was sooo much fun!! Then came the cat neuter that literally took 10 minutes but could have taken 3 if I hadn't asked so many questions. He description for how to neuter a cat is just like popping a pimple and it really is just that. This cat that we were neutering had a birth defect or broken bone in its right front leg as it couldn't completely flex it wrist, as you can see in the photo below. The veterinarian recommends that the leg be amputated as it cannot walk properly and had a sore forming where it walks on the malformed area.

After we had removed the testes we started to look at the anatomy of them and the different skin layers which was really cool. However as we were doing this we lost a testis and looked around and couldn't find it. Then finally I looked at Dr. Shroll's shoe and there in her shoe was the missing testis. We picked it up and then the technician made a comment of "well at least it was on your shoe and not in your stomach this time." With that statement I couldn't resist and I asked "what is she talking about?" Dr. Shroll replied saying that she had eaten a tests before. I couldn't believe this! You can eat testes?! So I assumed it must of been a dare and asked how she came about having to do such a thing and she did it on her own will. This was too good to be true! Apparently there is a festival in the spring 45 minutes from Findlay that is called......can you guess? I think I'll just leave you in suspense. 
After some fun in the office I had bio lab and I could not hate it more than anything. It took forever!!! When it could have only lasted an hour it took us a little over two! I'm pretty sure the professor was getting a little frustrated as I kept trying to make the lab move along a little faster as I answered majority of the questions quickly and got right to work. No one in the class wanted to participate which made it drag out even longer. Oh well, hopefully we can make it as fun as last semester with Dr. Edelbrock where my group, in the back row was his worst but best lab group. 
Working out the muscles with this chick, Julie! We're making progress on our goals and keep adding to them everyday. 
So the festival that Dr. Shroll and the tech had gone to was the Testicle Festival where they fry bull testes for eating. I actually looked it up and it's a legit thing. So guess what new adventurous food is going in my mouth this spring?!

No comments:

Post a Comment