Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Serving the Community

Got up before dawn, at 5:45am on a Saturday, to volunteer as a worker at the mobile food pantry that was coming to campus. We got a load of food and had to unload it from the delivery truck and sort the food before giving it out. 
There was a whole large box, the size of a watermelon box in the store, full of pudding. All of the pudding had to be bagged up so each family would get a bag of pudding. 
There was more pudding in the box than I have had my entire life!
I got assigned the job of being incharge of the meat. Each family was given one piece of meat and could then choose from our "not so popular" section of meat if they wanted it. Somehow I was picked for this and trying to sell the different meat products to the people. I did quite well, if I do say so myself:) I got rid of all the stuff the director and other students thought would never go.
We had chicken and beef liver, pork and beef neck bones, pig hock, oxtail and tripe! For those who do not know, tripe
is cow stomach:)
After five hours out in the cold Julie and I finally got to thaw out as we reflected on the day as a group.
When you give Yacoub and Kyle your phone for 2 minutes this is what you get.
My small group with campus ministries that served today among many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment