Friday, March 14, 2014

Japanese Dinner

Wednesday night I went to the Japanese house to eat some pizza with the Japanese students that are from Rakuno University in Japan. These are the students that we will be staying with in Japan when I go in May. 
As a special treat the professor brought us some Japanese candy. There was chocolate covered peanuts and a strawberry hard candy that tasted like a dum dum. 

Hiro, our professor then taught us how to signal come and good bye in Japan. To have someone come you make a motion with your hand as if you are digging and then to say go you shoo them off. Dr. Whitaker, the one in white, was having some difficulties and was extremely confused. Dr. Kerns is the one in green.


Below are some of the people that I ate dinner with from left to right is Yuichi, one of the exchange students from Rakuno, Chelsea, she went last year on the trip from Findlay, Katie, she is a sophomore and going this year with me.

We had to introduce ourselves to the group in Japanese and the Japanese students had to introduce themselves in English. From right to left, Kathryn, she is a sophomore going with me this year, Tomoya, an exchange student from Japan that is here for the year and is teaching us Japanese, in the back is Yurika, a Rakuno student here for three weeks, Candance, a junior going on the trip with me this year.

At the dinner there was a bunch of Japanese packaged foods that Tomoki and Tomoya kept passing my way and making me try. They couldn't wait to see my face and if I liked it. Their facial expressions were one that someone would give if they knew they were going to hate it and spit it out, so I was a little concerned. I ended up liking most of the food, my favorite being the smoked squid.



No comments:

Post a Comment